Saturday 16 June 2012

Jubilee versus Beach, Champagne versus Iced Tea


I spent Queen Elizabeth II’s Diamond Jubilee weekend on a Cycladic island, glued to my IPad (I don’t have a television there – by choice – see other Post about reading during the summer instead of watching the box) following the coverage, minute by minute on the BBC –  the BBC apparently received a lot of complaints about their coverage of the celebrations, but that was by people who had a choice, Sky, CNN, ITV – I didn’t have a choice and thought the BBC was wonderful!

It was all a bit surreal, in a Mediterranean garden, filled with oleanders, jasmin, plumbago, crickets doing their noisy thing, Basil plants visibly growing in the sunshine, me in Bermudas, or a swimsuit in preparation to going to the beach, sipping iced tea, tears of emotion streaming down my face as I watched the crowds, the river pageant, the flags, the rain, Heston’s picnic baskets  (they looked and sounded totally delicious, but not very substantial, especially if that meal was to see the lucky ones through until after the concert!). Every now and then, the crystal sea and empty beach beckoned, but not hard enough to drag me away from the screen – the sea would be there another day, God Willing, but the Diamond Jubilee would be only once and won hands down!

I loved Prince Charles’ tribute to his mama which showed old family films of his family, holidays, dogs and behind the scenes at his mother’s Coronation – seeing Charles and his sister jumping off sand dunes with complete abandon was such a fresh change from all the health and safety regulations that stop children from getting a scratch or bruise!

The concert was amazing, truly mind blowing – I loved it all, but most especially seeing the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Royal Box bopping away with the rest of them! My sort of priest!

And much to the extreme amusement of the friends I have told, I jumped to my feet each and every time the National Anthem was sung and sung along on my Greek island so far away from the action and yet feeling monumentally proud to be British and to have such a remarkable Queen.

I actually watched the Coronation 60 years ago, as a small child I hasten to add, on our 12” television in a walnut cabinet and then saw the procession through the Park as we lived in Mayfair at the time and could see it go by; but even before that I had a doll replica of Princess Elizabeth in her wedding dress that I think I still have in a trunk somewhere. Even earlier, in the mists of time, I performed in a pageant at Hampton Court Palace, England through the Ages, or some such, and I danced before Queen Mary in a re-enactment of the War of the Roses. My mother was a million percent royalist and I follow proudly in her steps.

 
Hampton Court Palace Pageant circa 1950


I captured several hundred photos on the IPad from the BBC and really will sort out my favourites but, today, because I want to share, I include only one that seems to epitomise how special the British people are:

   Proud to be British

And if I felt watching the Jubilee from a Cycladic island was surreal, watching the Trooping of the Colour today, again with tears of emotion and leaping to my feet with each roll of the drums whilst all the other TV channels are discussing Greece’s Election tomorrow – even more surreal, such a mixture of emotions – the terrible anxiety felt by everyone is palpable and not really knowing what to hope for; oh dear, too, too awful! Greece is such a wonderful place and has so much to offer – I hope it is given the chance.

              Paradise, aka Cycladic island

I thought at one moment my friends at the BBC were showing the crowd scene from the Jubilee weekend but then I realised that the stage had gone from the Victoria memorial and it was today, more crowds, more amazing crowd control by the wonderful police and happy people as the thousands poured down the Mall, again, for the Balcony scene and the flyover – more proud tears!




Recipe for the best iced tea:

I use a glass container with a pouring lid that fits comfortably in the fridge door shelf.

Although I don’t take sugar in anything I do think that iced tea needs a little sugar to bring out the flavour – like salt in food.

So, I put 2 level tablespoons of sugar in my jug and pour on a little boiling water to dissolve it – swish it around until it is clear.

I use 3 teabags of strong black tea, PG Tips, Yorkshire, and once the sugar has dissolved I fill up the jug with cold water and add the teabags. (cold water ensures that the tea is clear).

Leave to stand until the tea has infused the water and then refrigerate.

You can add lemon rind and/or ginger pieces at the beginning with the sugar and boiling water to add some zing.

BUT, my total favourite of the moment is to add an infusion made with hibiscus flowers – 3 tablespoons of dried hibiscus flowers cover with about 250ml boiling water and left to infuse; strain and then add to the black tea (don’t fill the jug full of cold water if you are going to add this glorious deep red, delicately flavoured juice).

You can use any tea in the same way, green, jasmine, white, Earl Grey – but make sure you make it strong.
PS Hibiscus flowers are very good for you, full of Vitamin C and a mild diuretic but so, so refreshing!

As always, wishing you Sunshine, whatever the weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment